Strona główna » Dla Turystów » Atrakcje turystyczne » Mini przewodnik EN » Mini guide part 2
Bądź na bieżąco z informacjami z Jarosławia, zostaw nam swój e-mail:

Mini guide part 2

It is worth seeing
A mini guide to Jarosław

The most important building in the marketplace is and has always been the City Hall - the seat of municipal authorities. It was first mentioned during the last quarter of the 1 th century. The building, presumably made of wood, burned down in 1600 and was rebuilt after the conflagration already as an edifice made of bricks. It was soon destroyed once more by the fire of 1625 and rebuilt in the late Renaissance style. This was a one-storey edifice on a square-shaped plan with arcades and multilevel cellars. In 1776, the City Hall was occupied by Austrian soldiers and held military workshops. In the middle of the 19th century, the city authorities repurchased the building from the State and executed a complete reconstruction. A second storey was added as well as a tower and neo-gothic facades were constructed - they were then changed at the end of the century to Neo-Renaissance elevations crowned with an attic. At the beginning of the 20th century, on the eastern side, a one-storey outbuilding was added. Later on, a reconstruction and extension took place in the western direction. We can admire this Neo-Renaissance style of the City Hall today.

The marketplace is enclosed by compact development composed mainly of one-storey burgher houses dating back to at least the 16th century (the parcels were delimited during the translocation). In most of these houses only the internal arrangement, the cellars and walls have remained in their original state, while the façades - mainly eclectic in style - originate from the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.

The Orsettis' house is the epitome of the burgher houses in Jarosław. It was built at the end of the 16th century, reconstructed by Wilhelm Orsetti, an Italian by origin, and presently is one of the most beautiful late-Renaissance burgher houses owned by the middle-class in Poland. It is on of the symbols of Jarosław, a sign of its grandeur in the Old Polish period and of its great significance in Europe due to international commerce. The solid mass of the building is adorned with an attic refined by a high comb-shaped structure giving the whole edifice some lightness, which is additionally emphasized by the openwork arcades and some architectural details. After World War II this burgher house became a museum.

The Museum in Jarosław has been functioning since 1925. At first, it was located in the City Hall, later in burgher house no. 5 in the marketplace, but eventually it was located in the Orsetti building.

The idea behind the museum's exhibitions has been adapted to the historical character of the burgher house, which has retained its original interior structure.

On the ground floor, exhibits related to the history of the city and the region are displayed in the lower vestibule and in the shop, while the beautiful main hall called the Great Chamber, decorated with a wooden ceiling and a figural polychrome from the first half of the 1 th century, boasts a collection of items emphasizing the fine nature of all Great Chambers.

The exhibitions located on the first floor, which used to be a residential area, present stylised interiors of the middle-class. While visiting the Museum it is worth taking look at the 1 th century flooring called at that time "olstrych" and parts of polychromes from the 1 th (so-called "straps"), 1 th and 19th century.

Krystyna Kieferling, Zofia Kostka-Bieńkowska